Saturday 6 April 2013

Are You IT Positive?

Have you ever been asked such a question? If not, would you guess what it might mean?

Well, when you work with a computer, you need to have at least some skills to turn it on and start software you need. I remember when my mum bought a new computer for her work a couple of years ago in order to write some invoices. I visited her in her office and she wanted to show me how she could do it. She opened her notebook (that paper one) and started reading instructions – #1 turn on the computer – so she pressed the button, #2 press F1 – she pressed F1, #3 …... #7 … then she looked at the screen for the first time (!) and got shocked when she did not find what she had expected. She got confused and almost freaked out. I calmed her down and recommended her to read not only her instructions but also what was written on the screen. Since then when anybody has a problem with any functions of software, the only advice I always give – read properly and carefully, it must be written somewhere there.

So operating any software is connected with reading comprehension and also installing new programmes, applications etc. and requires us to read. Since I am a great reader, I consider myself to be a “dumb-user” because I know that good software or hardware must be legible and understandable for the masses. Following this only rule, people will get on well with technology.

Consequently, being able to read what is written on the screen, enhances your skills and abilities when  working with PC.  As I have already mentioned above, I am a „dumb user“ and I do everything to reap the benefits of any software or hardware and do it as easy as possible. A couple of years ago, we had a very ambitious, kind and skillful school network administrator  in my former school.  He was always helpful and willing to do what needed to be done.  Once, we got a printer so he came to our office to install it in order for us to be able to use it within the network.  After he had been unsuccessfully trying for 2 hours, I asked if I could try it my own humble way. I made it in two minutes and he swore to me that he had been following the same steps and it did not work.  He said that if he had not seen it with his own eyes, he would not have believed it. Since then something similar has been happening to me all the time and I have ended up as a "friend on the phone" help or rather said "helpline call centre".

The expression “IT positive” comes from my colleagues who could not find the right word to express the way I deal with any computer-related problems. I would say that I am a natural, however I am into technology up to some point. I am eager to use new gadgets, new programmes, new technology unless it is anything else but time-consuming without any additional value to my life. Then I start rejecting it purposefully regardless my skills.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Monika,

    It's a pleasure to have you in this course. I had fun reading your blog, it is just amazing.

    The best thing of all is that I share so many of your opinions. First of all, it is indeed a competition. I believe that, as social human beings, there is always a sharing and a competition behind, even if you are not so conscious about it. This is why, I usually have competitions in my class among my students, they do their best they can to win, as a result they participate. It is a great motivation.

    And here we are, trying to do our best.

    Second of all, the IT positive sounds like a disease, and my first reaction was not good. However, after reading the explanation, I really liked it. I am not quite sure if I am IT positive. I'm taking this course because I am into technology, too, but I get frustrated when I have to deal with some computer-related problems, and I can not find the solution.

    Finally, I just want to congratulate you for such a great blog. I am a competitive person, which I think it is a PT positive (Personality treat), so I will continue posting things and I would like to add more stuff to my poor blog.

    Marga

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.