Saturday 6 April 2013

What did I get myself into? Part I

Approximately a year ago, I decided to search the Internet and look for some courses for English teachers. While I was browsing, I found a website with the offer of a scholarship for teachers from the U.S. Embassy. I was pleased to be eligible for it and eager to apply. Having been imagining to have the opportunity to study via the Internet with no need for travel expanses, taking any days off or leaving my family for a long time seemed to be one of the greatest opportunities I had ever come across.

To begin with, I checked all 10 available courses in the offer and after having considered my interests, skills and abilities, I made a decision to submit my application for „Building Teaching Skills Through the Interactive Web“. Some people would think that when anyone has been teaching English as a foreign language for over 20 years, they should be able to understand what they read. However, what one can imagine what interactive means might differ.

In terms of improving my knowledge and skills through the Internet, I thought the course would provide useful links, teachers involved would share their best practices and of course, inevitably, we would be taught how to use distant learning. As the beginning of the course was about to start, other issues should be solved and finished by then because I intended to commence the course with the clean desk. I made my own countdown with quite a few problems with the conversion of time, but finally I succeeded.

At last, the course opening started on 1 April, Monday, right after I had filed my tax return and felt exhausted. Moreover, the next day was a day-off for school teachers thus I hoped I would savour the course from its right beginning. Nevertheless, I was confounded. I woke up dizzy, lacking the energy, suffering from pain in my neck so most of the day I spent sleeping and doing nothing. Despite my being overworked, I collected myself and kicked off with the course at 10 pm.

To check my email instructions, I joined the Nicenet and found out that lots of posts had been posted and the people commented on each other´s posts which I did not understand because there was little to comment on. I started reading and it seemed to be endless and I felt confusion sweeping over me. What did I get myself into? My head started running wild, fingers beat keys, eyes hurting, PC at the verge of collaps – too many opened tabs... I posted my introduction which I had planned to be very brief, but ended up pretty long. Then I went back to reading and realised that commenting on posts was required and assessed – well, no problem, I responded to our teacher Donna and felt relieved. The life was just fine.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.