Saturday 4 May 2013

Week 5 - WebQuest - Extra Credit

What did I get myself into again?  This week enables us to improve our grades and be awarded an extra credit if we try to create some kind of project on WebQuest.

Some of the teachers, the tutor Donna inclusive, 'have sung a beautiful song' about WebQuest so I have thought that I might improve my grades by having done it because I lost some points 2 weeks ago due to my comment on another discussion post missing.

Now, I am frustrated since I could have spent much more enjoyable time working on my final project rather than wait for ages for a Zunal time response and then to get the message 'User zunalco_mysql already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections.' Unbelievable! And I have not mentioned formatting which becomes a nightmare!

NEVER SAY NEVER! Although I understand this  saying, I dare to say I will never use Zunal again. 

To begin with, according to a WebQuest main website http://www.webquest.org/ 'a WebQuesst is an inquiry-oriented lesson format in which most or all the information that learners work with comes from the web.'  This even collaborative environment designed for teachers to provide students with step by step instructions and online resources as well as an evaluation rubric of the results of the project is a  designed website prepared for teachers with precise instructions what to do and how to do it and with a variety of 'templates' offered. Moreover, it contains evaluation rubric and other tools for assessment with clear instructions why it is necessary and what should be accomplished. Further information about advantages of using a WebQuest you can find here.

On the other hand, a WebQuest is compared to a lesson prepared with the use of  a piece of paper and pencil. I would recommend to stick to them instead of using web sites like Zunal.

As a notion behind WebQuest is a great idea of creating some kind of a lesson plan for a project-based learning which not a lot of teachers have idea what it should be like. WebQuest uses a simple structured lesson plan with clear divisions of its parts that guided both teachers and students.

My attempt to create a WebQuest is here http://zunal.com/webquest.php?w=195705

I have to admit that it took me so much time to do this that if I were not on a sick leave, I would not have been able to do it due to a lack of time.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Monika,

    I am so sorry that you had trouble with Zunal. It was having a terrible time and was very, very slow.

    It's much better now and much easier to use.

    Your hard work did pay off and you get the 5 extra credit points.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.